[OPE-L:2907] Re: Re: Re: Re: re:starting points

From: Fred B. Moseley (fmoseley@mtholyoke.edu)
Date: Wed Apr 26 2000 - 09:35:58 EDT

Andy, I think we now pretty much agree on Banaji's interpretation of
Marx's "double starting-point." I think I agree with everything with you
say in your latest (below). But there is one point that I do not
understand. In your sequence of categories, you have:
        commodity
        use-value
        exchange-value
        value (congealed abstract socially necessary labor-time)
        COMMODITY-FORM [emphasis added]
        money-form
        capital-form

I do not understand what you mean by "commodity-form" in this sequence and
how this "commodity-form" differs from the "commodity" with which the
sequence begins. Would you please explain further?

You also say that the "commodity-form" is the "concrete historical
synonym" of value. What does "concrete historical synonym" mean?
Why is the "concrete historical synonym" of value the "commodity-form" and
not the "money-form"?

Looking forward to further discussion,
Fred