[OPE-L:2915] Re: re:starting points

From: Andrew Brown (A.N.Brown@uel.ac.uk)
Date: Thu Apr 27 2000 - 07:28:50 EDT

Hi Fred,

I'm very glad you we agree!

Annotated response below.

Date sent: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 09:35:58 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Fred B. Moseley" <fmoseley@mtholyoke.edu>
To: ope-l@galaxy.csuchico.edu
Subject: [OPE-L:2907] Re: Re: Re: Re: re:starting points
Send reply to: ope-l@galaxy.csuchico.edu

> Andy, I think we now pretty much agree on Banaji's interpretation of
> Marx's "double starting-point." I think I agree with everything with you
> say in your latest (below). But there is one point that I do not
> understand. In your sequence of categories, you have:
> commodity
> use-value
> exchange-value
> value (congealed abstract socially necessary labor-time)
> COMMODITY-FORM [emphasis added]
> money-form
> capital-form
>
> I do not understand what you mean by "commodity-form" in this sequence and
> how this "commodity-form" differs from the "commodity" with which the
> sequence begins. Would you please explain further?

By 'commodity-form' I mean the commodity now grasped as, and
positing itself as, a value. This is indeed the same 'commodity' with
which the sequence of categories starts. But to start with I had not
grasped the significance of the commodity. As it immediately appears
the commodity is simply something which has use-value and exchange
value. Exchange value is not yet grasped as a form of value. Rather, it
appears simply to be a quantitative relation between things. Looking
at the matter more closely it turns out that exchange value is a form of
value and that value is objectified abstract social labour. Armed with
this information I am able to return to the commodity to comprehend
the social significance of the exchange relation; viz. that it is the way in
which one commodity is able to express (give an appearance form to)
its value; it reflects its value into the equivalent commodity. The value
of one commodity gains appearance form in the use-value of another.
This, then, is the 'commodity-form'. The most elementary form of
value.

> You also say that the "commodity-form" is the "concrete historical
> synonym" of value. What does "concrete historical synonym" mean?
> Why is the "concrete historical synonym" of value the "commodity-form" and
> not the "money-form"?

Well, yes, this is more tricky. I know Banaji says it but what on earth
does he mean?! I guess he means that the synthetic point of departure,
value, is not itself complete until we have shown how value gains an
appearance form (gains 'reality'); this it does in the commodity-form.
Now, I can can grasp that 'value' *needs* a form (this is Hegelian
essence logic I believe), without yet establishing what the form is.
When I do establish what the form is then I have the actual historical
manifestation, or counterpart, or synonym, for my abstract concept of
value. (regarding the money-form; at this stage, money *is* a
commodity. The money-form is a more concrete and complex
development of the commodity-form - it is just that it is not the
simplest expression of value, which is the 'simple commodity-form'.
Granted, this simple expression is 'inadequate').

I am afraid this latter paragraph may be complete rubbish; I look
forward very much to any corrections. Regarding the former
paragraph, then Marx's move to value and then to abstract socially
necessary labour immediately strikes any reader as something like an
assumption, at best (eg. Rakesh's last post). Or more
straightforwardly it looks like an illegitimate deduction. Yet, this is not
so if one recognises that (1) identical powers must stem from identical
substances [one day I hope to get the time to reply to Michael
Williams' long and illuminating post on value, posted some time back.
To answer one question you posed, Michael: the identical power
shared by commodities is 'exchangeability']; (2) Marx has already
established a great deal of transhistorical knowledge which is
presupposed in Capital and is commonly known as the materialist
conception of history. Given these presuppostions it is indeed entirely
obvious and straightforward that the substance of value is labour (but,
of course, it must be labour of a very peculiar sort).

Thanks very much - I hope this isn't all just total gobbledegook.

Andy