[OPE-L:2916] Re: Re: Marx and Hegel

From: JERRY LEVY (jlevy@sescva.esc.edu)
Date: Thu Apr 27 2000 - 07:40:03 EDT

Reply to Paul Z's [OPE-L:2878]:

1) Of course, I agree that we only have so much time available and
   have to make decisions about the most "productive" use of our
   time and energy. Thus, as you suggest, time allocated for
   scholarly activities must be considered in relationship to
   possible other uses of time, such as time spent being politically
   active. This, however, is not what is at issue here in this
   exchange.

2) I strongly agree that we need to move Marx's political economy
   "FORWARD". Indeed, as you recall, that was the main consideration
   that led to the creation of this list. On the other hand, the
   task of moving forward beyond Marx pre-supposes a comprehension
   of what went before us, including a understanding of Marx's
   method. So, the task of moving forward also requires us to look
   back and critique. This, however, is not what has been at
   issue in the current exchange.

3) When you assert that we need not do "what Althusser did for
   us" (i.e. consider the indluence of Hegel on Marx), you approach
   our disagreement. Whatever the merits (or lack thereof) of
   Althusser's views on this subject, *no secondary source* can
   serve as a substitute for the reading of the primary sources
   by Marx and Hegel. This should be a simple issue that scholars
   should be able to agree to. Similarly (by way of analogy), a
   reading of Hollander on Smith can not serve as a substitute to
   reading Smith if one wants to understand Smith. I wouldn't
   have thought that this was a controversial position.

4) You said that my previous statement that condemning "those who
   have attacked Marx without bothering to read Marx seriously"
   was "too vague in its lack of class content". Then, let me
   be less vague. I was thinking especially of those "scholars",
   particularly in a university setting, who have attacked Marx
   without bothering to seriously read Marx. I'm sure we can
   think of examples at the different schools where we teach ....
   This is not an acceptable standard for those who claim to
   be scholars. I.e. the demands of scholarship require that one
   read the sources that one claims to be an authority on. Thus,
   if one were a philosopher giving a talk on the intellectual
   relationship of Plato to Aristotle, one would be expected to
   have read both Aristotle and Plato (as well as relevant
   secondary sources). Similarly, if one was an economist who
   was writing on the influence of Ricardo on J.S. Mill, one
   should be expected to have read both Ricardo and J.S. Mill.

5) One would not expect that Guiliani or the [gusano] supporters
   of Lazaro Gonzalez to have made a serious study of Marx.
   And, of course, they don't claim that they have done so.
   Thus, it is a non-issue ... at least in terms of this
   exchange. However, to the extent that *anyone* claims to
   know "what Marx meant", then a minimal standard -- from a
   scholarly perspective -- should be that they should have
   read Marx. If they have not read Marx but claim nonetheless
   to be an authority on Marx, then whatever they have to say
   on Marx can be discounted.

In solidarity, Jerry