[OPE-L:2949] Re: Dialectical Contradictions, Positivism?

From: riccardo bellofiore (bellofio@cisi.unito.it)
Date: Sat Apr 29 2000 - 07:11:52 EDT

I agree with your positive evaluation about Colletti, say, 1967-1975
(including the introduction to the Early Writings: I may personally testify
that still in 1974 and early 1975, after the Interview, Colletti was a
left-wing critic of the Italian Communist Party; the Introduction to the
Early Writings, however, was never translated in Italian, and he never
wanted it to be translated; Colletti is now a parliamentary for the Right,
and he actually he did nothing intellectually worthwhile after 1976). And
yours is a faithful description of the last chapter of Marxism and Hegel.

However, that's true that the paper on Bernstein, and the boolk Marxism and
Hegel, etc. raised a tension in Colletti, which exploded in the 1974
Interview for the NLR. Indeed, in the same last chapter of M&H Colletti
argued that Della Volpe was WRONG on indeterminate abstractions, and hence
poor against Hegel. Indeed, as Colletti puts it, the late Marx is in
continuity with the young Marx because the latter criticized Hegel for the
inversion of subject and predicate, and the former realized that capital
was based exactly, in *reality*, on thissame kind of inversion. Money,
Value, Capital *are* INDETERMINATE abstractions, against Della Volpe.
Colletti had more and more to recognize that capitalist reality was
contradictory in an Hegelian sense (in the Italian introduction to Alfred
Schmidt's book on Nature etc. he went so far as saying that Hegel was
positively important for Marx, and he spoke well of Backhaus and Reichelt,
i.e.of the new Marxian-Hegelian scholarship in Germany at the time; a pupil
of Colletti, Pennavaja, went to Germany and worked with Backhaus, and she
published in Italian the first, more Hegelian, version of the first chapter
of the first edition of Capital, as well as the Appendix on the Value Form
appended to the same edition, with a long introduction where all the
influences from Hegel were traced, the book was published in early 1976).
Colletti temporarily resolved this contradiction saying that indeed
capitalist reality was "upside down". So, capitalist reality was not true
reality. Hence, Colletti hoped, you may be both anti-Hegelian and fully
recognizing the Hegelian features of capitalist reality.

riccardo

P.S.: in my paper on Rivista di Politica Economica there is some more
considerations on this story.

        Riccardo Bellofiore
Office: Department of Economics
        Piazza Rosate, 2