[OPE-L:2992] RE: Re: Defining accumulation

From: P.J.Wells@open.ac.uk
Date: Wed May 03 2000 - 06:48:25 EDT

I *mostly* agree with Paul C's comments in #2990.

But I'd emphasise that what's important, in the context which my original
message was responding to, is his point that the stock of capital is
"embodied in material objects" -- clearly something that's embodied in
something else is in some way different from that something, and confusing
the two will lead to problems.

>From the way that I've selected Paul's word for quotation, it will be
apparent that what I'm doubtful about is the "necessity" of capital being
embodied in material objects -- suppose I sell 100 shares in Microsoft, wait
two days while the price falls, then buy 100 Microsoft shares and invest the
difference in Amaxon.com: what's my capital embodied in during the interval?

Julian