[OPE-L:2998] Re: RE: Re: Defining accumulation

From: Allin Cottrell (cottrell@wfu.edu)
Date: Wed May 03 2000 - 09:43:11 EDT

On Wed, 3 May 2000 P.J.Wells@open.ac.uk wrote:

> From the way that I've selected Paul's word for quotation,
> it will be apparent that what I'm doubtful about is the
> "necessity" of capital being embodied in material objects --
> suppose I sell 100 shares in Microsoft, wait two days while
> the price falls, then buy 100 Microsoft shares and invest
> the difference in Amaxon.com: what's my capital embodied in
> during the interval?

Surely this is a micro-macro confusion. The real capital takes
the form of real assets of Microsoft and Amazon throughout, and
the transfer of titles is irrelevant. When I sell MS and hold
my personal wealth in a bank account for a time, it's not as if
MS's assets dematerialize for that period.

Allin Cottrell.