[OPE-L:3030] Re: Re: Re: Re: re:starting points

From: Ajit Sinha (ajitsinha@lbsnaa.ernet.in)
Date: Sun May 07 2000 - 07:55:57 EDT

Fred,

I don't think a theoretical or interpretational problem can be solved by appeal
to consensus or head count. This is a poor way of settling an argument. Who are
these people whose consensus you are talking about? There are many good scholars
of Marx who are not debating these issues because they don't think it is going
anywhere. There are some people who get together and publish some mumbo-jumbo and
declare that they are a paradigm and that they have demonstrated every body else
to be wrong. Not many serious scholars have time to entertain all kinds of
gebrish that comes out in print--and all of us know how much of junk there is out
there in print. If they did so, no good work will ever get done. So what does
those meaningless proclamation prove? Nothing. So head count on ope-l is no way
to settle a theoretical problem. Now, as far as the question of the analysis of
commodity in CAPITAL is concerned, I think this is an obscurantist debate. The
problem is not that whether Marx's "commodity" in chapter one is a product of
capitalist production or not. The relevant theoretical point is that the concept
of "capital" and "wage labor" are not part of the arguments in chapter one--the
analysis is conducted independent of these concepts. Since you have given several
textual evidence on the concept of capital, let me refresh your memory on the
concept of commodity in chapter one by a long quote from early part of Chapter
five. This is very important because it is here for the first time that the
concepts of wage labor, and thus capital, are being developed. (By the way, Marx
did not think or know that "surplus-value" were produced and appropriated in
precapitalist systems. Surplus, of course, but not "surplus-value". He maintained
a theoretical distinction between the two). Cheers, ajit sinha

"Why this free worker confronts him in the sphere of circulation is a question
which does not interest the owner of money, for he finds the labour market in
existence as a particular branch of the commodity-market. And for the present it
interest us just as little. WE CONFINE OURSELVES TO THE FACT THEORETICALLY, AS HE
DOES PRACTICALLY. ...

The economic categories already discussed similarly bear a historical imprint.
Definite historical conditions are involved in the existence of the product as a
commodity. In order to become a commodity, the product must cease to be produced
as the immideate means of subsistence of the producer himself. Had we gone
further, and inquired under what cercumstances all, or even the majority of
products take the form of commodities, we should have found that this only
happens on the basis of one particular mode of production, the capitalist one.
SUCH AN INVESTIGATION, HOWEVER, WOULD HAVE BEEN FOREIGN TO THE ANALYSIS OF
COMMODITIES. The production and circulation of commodities can still take place
even though the great mass of the objects produced are intended for the immideate
requirements of their producers, and are not turned into commodities, so that the
process of social production is as yet by no means dominated in its length and
breadth by exchange-value. The appearance of products as commodities requires a
level of development of the division of labour within society such that the
separation of use-value from exchange-value, a separation which first begins with
barter, has already been completed. BUT SUCH A DEGREE OF DEVELOPMENT IS COMMON TO
MANY ECONOMIC FORMATIONS OF SOCIETY, WITH MOST DIVERSE HISTORICAL
CHARACTERISTICS.

If we go on to consider money, its existence implies that a definite stage in the
development of commodity exchange has been reached. ... Yet we know by experience
that a relatively feeble development of commodity circulation suffices for the
creation of all these forms. IT IS OTHER WISE WITH CAPITAL. THE HISTORICAL
CONDITIONS OF ITS EXISTENCE ARE BY NO MEANS GIVEN BY MERE CIRCULATION OF MONEY
AND COMMODITIES." (Marx, CAPITAL vol.1, pp.273-74, Vintage, emphasis mine.)