[OPE-L:3127] Re: Re: Re: Re: Marx -> Hegel -> Spinoza -> Epicurus -> ?

From: Paul Zarembka (zarembka@acsu.buffalo.edu)
Date: Thu May 11 2000 - 14:43:54 EDT

jlevy@sescva.esc.edu (JERRY LEVY) said, on 05/11/00 at 12:49 PM:

>btw, I haven't read Spinoza in any depth and -- following my own advice
>-- won't enter into a debate about the influence of Spinoza on Hegel.

So, you'll discuss Hegel on your terms, while side-stepping any
Althusserian-influenced terms! That leaves me out.

>Also, btw, you omitted my "smiley face" to Rakesh after "read Hegel

False. See 3123 (but not repeated in 3125).

Bottom line: Nothing is accomplished on this list by telling another
person to read someone (such is for our daughters and sons to hear from
teachers), particularly as a general admonish to an writer and not to a
specific paragraph. If we don't read FROM OUR OWN MOTIVATION nothing very
good will come out of it from either point of view. Thus, there is no
point in your telling Rakesh to "read Hegel", nor for me to tell you to
"read Spinoza" (or Althusser).

If the need arises to defend Rakesh again, it will be done.

Paul Z.