[OPE-L:3144] Two prefaces

From: Asfilho@aol.com
Date: Fri May 12 2000 - 10:29:25 EDT

Dear all,

I hope this is not a trivial question.

We have all surely read the preface to Marx's 'Contribution' (1859) many
times. We have also read many times the preface to the 'Grundrisse'. In the
Contribution, Marx argues that he is leaving out a (long) preface which he
had already written - presumably the Grundrisse's? This seems to imply that
the content of the (omitted) preface still holds good in his own mind.

Yet, prima facie these two prefaces could hardly be more different.

My question is, what is the relationship between them, ie, is it possible to
integrate the 'mechanistic' succession of modes of production in CCPE with
the 'Hegelian' analysis in the Grundrisee?

alfredo.