[OPE-L:3191] Re: Re: capitalist mode of production

From: Gil Skillman (gskillman@mail.wesleyan.edu)
Date: Sun May 14 2000 - 16:03:51 EDT

Paul Z. writes:

>In regard to Fred's question, note Marx:
>
>"in order to examine the object of our investigation in its integrity,
>free from all disturbing subsidiary circumstances, we must treat the whole
>world as one nation, and assume that capitalist production is everywhere
>established and has possessed itself of every branch of industry" (Vol. 1,
>p.545, fn.1).

Note that this passage doesn't quite say what you want it to, Paul. It
doesn't say that all production is capitalist production; it says rather
that capitalism is established in every nation and is in every branch of
industry. That would be true if putting-out and family firms operated in
branch along side them.

>Luxemburg (1913, p.331-33) points to similar citations in other parts of
>Marx's works to remove any doubts concerning what Marx meant. Capitalism
>is assumed to have completely occupied the space of theoretical
>discussion.

I don't know what specific citations Luxemburg refers to, but if they're
like the above they don't establish the point sought by you and Fred.
Also, I wonder what Luxemburg would do with the passage from V. III I cite
in my response to Fred?

In any case, none of this matters for the relevance of my Ch. 5 critique. Gil