[OPE-L:3287] Re: Production for Production's Sake (was Need 1 and Luxemburg's *Accumulation of Capital*)

From: Paul Zarembka (zarembka@ACSU.BUFFALO.EDU)
Date: Mon May 22 2000 - 14:42:36 EDT

"Andrew_Kliman" <Andrew_Kliman@email.msn.com> said, on 05/12/00 in 3157:

>I have re-read a couple of times the sections of Paul's paper dealing
>with the issue of definitions, as well as his posts about this, and I
>still don't get what's at issue. I'll just note that Marx's usage
>depends in part on context. In light of our discussion I happened to
>note that he identifies "real accumulation" as "an expansion of
>production" (middle of 2d para. of Ch. 21, Vol. II).

Thanks and noted.

>So I want to deal with the issue by assuming, as Marx did, that values
>and techniques are unchanging. It is easy to generalize beyond this.

Good -- c/v constant as in all of Marx's schemes.

>I will show that all of the surplus-value can be "realized" internally,
>in a closed, 2-class capitalist nation. I will also substantiate
>Dunayevskaya's argument that all surplus-value can be "realized" even
>when growth is *unbalanced*, i.e., when the supply of means of production
>(MP) continually grows faster than the supply of articles of consumption
>(AC). In other words, Dept. I continually grows faster than Dept. II.
>(If all surplus-value is to be "realized," supplies must match demands,
>and so it is likewise necessary that I show that *demand* for MP can
>continually grow faster than *demand* for AC. I will do so.)
>The argument will also demonstrate that Department I can continually grow
>faster than Department II even if -- as I will assume -- the ratio of
>means of production to living labor (and the ratio of means of production
>to real wages) is not changing, neither in the aggregate nor in either
>department.

Andrew's model follows below (for those who deleted it). He claims that
from an initial point of simple reproduction into the TRANSITION from a
steady-state growth path of 10%, Dept. I will grow faster than Dept. II,
seemingly to disprove Luxemburg and defend Marx (who holds c/v in each
sector constant).

An examination of Andrew's model reveals that capitalist consumption is a
residual after requirements means of production and requirements for
workers' survival. Therefore, when we MOVE from a 0 0rowth path to a 10%
growth path, the capitalist consumption takes a hit which means Dept. II
takes a hit. The hit persists until we reach the 10 0rowth path.

I believe this is the economics of what is going on and doesn't mean
anything for Luxemburg's case, one way or another, nor Dunayevskaya's, for
that matter. All that is happening is a change in the capitalist choice
of their proportions between accumulation (initially zero in the proffered
example) and their consumption. Put another way, Luxemburg (or I) can
concede this example.

I would also call attention to a similarity between both Andrew's model
and Bauer's. Both have hours of labor power continually increasing, and
thus both include "accumulation" under the definition I have proposed in:

"Accumulation of Capital, its Definition: A Century after Lenin and
Luxemburg": http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/PZarembka/len-lux.htm

>I realize that there is another issue involved in the debate,
>historically and currently, namely whether capitalists lack an
>"inducement" (Joan Robinson) to invest in the manner depicted below. I'll
>have to tackle that in another post. The following shows that they
>*could* invest in this manner and that, if they did so, this would solve
>the alleged "realization problem." Before dealing with behavioral
>issues, I think it is helpful at least to reach agreement on the
>analytical ones.

OK, we'll be "on hold" on this issue.

Paul Z.

Paul Zarembka, supporting RESEARCH IN POLITICAL ECONOMY