[OPE-L:3316] Re: Measurement of value

From: Patrick L. Mason (pmason@garnet.acns.fsu.edu)
Date: Wed May 24 2000 - 14:18:14 EDT

Alfredo (and others who agree with his position) has proven a bit too much.
All empirical work is "messy." Are we then to abandon empirical research?

There is no empirical work that will ever perfectly conform to theoretic
concepts. Even something as socially obvious as "race," a phenomena that
all Americans either acknowledge, accept, or in some way act upon, has
10,000 thousand empirical problems. Indeed, race (like value) has a great
many theoretical problems. Nevertheless, it is not futile to do empirical
research where we employ the category "race," even though there is no
scientific definition of the concept!

Value is a scientific concept. Attempts to statistically measure value
categories simply represent the most concrete form of theoretical analysis.
The issue then isn't whether the statistics are flawless - they never are.
The issue is whether empirical initiatives help us to better understand the
relative importance of theoretical categories, help us to better understand
the empirical significance of particular problems and issues, and whether
the expected theoretical relationships have merit. Whether a given
empirical is "satisfactory" depends on the issue under discussion.

Again, no empirical procedure is flawless. If value is visible only through
price, but we can't get any information about values from prices, then
value theory is a waste of time. Under these conditions, value theory is a
needless metaphysical (and probably idealistic) exercise.

Even something as "simple" as one's "wage" or "income" involves an enormous
series of assumptions. These assumptions must be considered as more or less
problematic within the context of the problem at hand. The same is true of
the relationship between value theory and value estimation.

A claim of Marxian economics is that it provides a superior understanding
of social reality, in comparison to the supposedly obsfuscating tendencies
of neoclassical economics. If this claim is true, let's go to the data and
prove it.

peace, patrick l mason