[OPE-L:3341] Re: Re: Re: starting points [can surplus value be measured?]

From: Paul Zarembka (zarembka@ACSU.BUFFALO.EDU)
Date: Thu May 25 2000 - 10:04:53 EDT

I suspected Ajit's reaction to this quote from Althusser. But I don't
agree.

Althusser thinks that Chapter One is the most difficult of _Capital_. So,
one can use Althusser to indicate difficulty. But Althusser never offered
a direct rereading of Chapter One to offer a solution to the problems he
found. That absence leaves open MANY avenues, not merely or especially
Ajit's. (A Belgium Marxist friend of mine once remarked to me that
Althusser was, in the final analysis, only raising questions.) And Fred's
reading of the role of Chapter One has as much credibility from this point
of view, and more credibility from Althusser's larger argument that
_Capital_ is about the "capitalist mode of production".

In my view, all starting points have a difficulty in precisely being the
first words on a page. Writing itself is linear, left to right (right to
left, or top to bottom, in some languages). We don't have a "matrix"
ability for writing (if "matrix" should be the appropriate metaphor for
what I'm attempting to say).

Paul Z.

Paul Zarembka, supporting RESEARCH IN POLITICAL ECONOMY
******************** http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/PZarembka