[OPE-L:3511] Re: Re: Re: Marxism and 19th century materialism

From: Allin Cottrell (cottrell@wfu.edu)
Date: Mon Jun 19 2000 - 08:50:27 EDT

On Mon, 19 Jun 2000, Paul Cockshott wrote:

> Beyond that I regard the Copenhagen interpretation as itself
> being an idealist interpretation of the subject matter.

IMO the starting point for New Age appropriations of quantum
mechanics is not actually Bohr's interpretation
("Complementarity", the idea that nature is irreducibly
stochastic), but rather the notion von Neumann introduced, that
the collapse of the wave-function is located in the
consciousness of "the observer".

Allin Cottrell.