[OPE-L:3937] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: m in Marxs theory

From: Gil Skillman (gskillman@MAIL.WESLEYAN.EDU)
Date: Mon Oct 02 2000 - 12:41:15 EDT

Rakesh writes, in part,

one does not need such a labor theory of value to
argue against the injustice of profit income or the human unfreedom
implicit in private ownership of the means of production, Ajit and
Gil both seem to be saying as they reduce Marx's basic critique of
political economy and theory of surplus value to ethics

It's news to me that I do this, though of course Marx' s critique
necessarily contains a normative component (else in what sense is it a
"critique"--of esthetics, perhaps?).  My point is just that you don't need
a labor theory of value, understood as a notion that commodity prices are
somehow "regulated" by underlying labor values, in order to advance Marx's
critique, and in some cases reliance on labor value theory is
counterproductive.  Gil