[OPE-L:3936] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: m in Marxs theory

From: Rakesh Bhandari (bhandari@Princeton.EDU)
Date: Mon Oct 02 2000 - 10:28:21 EDT

There are a lot of charges of who is not responding to whom. I
continue to disagree with Fred and Alejandro about whether the inputs
are "untransformed" after the completion of the second tableau (I
think the problem of transforming the inputs can only be and is
indeed raised then because only at this point do we have the concept of
prices of production at which the "inputs" would presumably have
bought) and about what determines the value transferred from the means of
prodution (to me it seems clear that it is the value of the means of
production --not the money sum paid for them--that determines the
value transferred).

As for the controversy about m:

It is Duncan who introduces the labor value theoretic concept of the
monetary expression of value and its inverse of the value of money.
And he does tell us how to calculate both from (reworked) GDP data,
right? In his hypothetical example the former is $15 and the latter 4
minutes. Now one could of course argue that such calculation does not
prove that  abstract (productive) labor in one hour actually produces
the $15 of value (one does not need such a labor theory of value to
argue against the injustice of profit income or the human unfreedom
implicit in private ownership of the means of production, Ajit and
Gil both seem to be saying as they reduce Marx's basic critique of
political economy and theory of surplus value to ethics). For
Duncan's implication to hold, however, the labor theory of value
would at the least have to be free of internal contradiction.

Moreover, Ajit, as I understand you, you are arguing that in his
transformation tableaux Marx has no way to convert total value to a
dollar price quantity so that total cost price (also a dollar price
quantity) can be subtracted from it to arrive at total profit which
if then divided by total cost price would yield r or the mark up.

Yet if profit is to explained on the basis of the law of value, the
monetary expression of value has to be taken as given and fixed in
order to rule out the possibility of profit via simple money
inflation. I understand Paul B to have agreed with Fred on this, and have
not understood your reply.

Marx  can fix the monetary expression of value at .5 shillings per abstract
labor hour (value of one shilling  as two hours) or anything else as long
as he sticks with it  throughout his presentation. Only this way can he
explain the  formation of the general industrial rate of profit on the
basis of  the law of value alone. Again if Marx had been trying to arrive
at  the correct relative prices, he would need to know the exact monetary
expression of value and determine it from within the transformation
tableau, but he's trying to resolve the contradiction between the  average
rate of profit and the law of value, to show how the former  not only does
not modify or contradict the former but can be
fully explained on the basis of the latter.

For this purpose, it is perfectly reasonable and necessary to take
the monetary expression of value as fixed and given, perhaps much
like the neo Ricardians,as Meek explains, have to take the scale of
production and technical as invariant  in order to carry out the
investigation of
specific problems.

All the best, Rakesh