[OPE-L:3981] Re: Re: Surplus value or surplus argument?

From: Ajit Sinha (ajitsinha@lbsnaa.ernet.in)
Date: Fri Oct 06 2000 - 01:57:15 EDT

Steve Keen wrote:

> Thanks Fred,
>
> Yes it is proportionality in the strict sense of the word, but it is no
> longer Marx's theory in the strict sense of the word.

_________________

No it is not proportional Setve! Fred is entirely wrong. And he is wrong because
he does his mathematics upside down. He first "defines"

S = m.Ls (here m is supposed to be "given" but unknown, and Ls is definitely an
unknown, otherwise he will not need his other two equations. And from this he
keeps claiming that his S is proportional to Ls with the proportionality factor
m). Now since his Ls is unknown, he defines Ls as

Ls = (L - Ln), now in this equation L is supposed to be known but Ln is still
unknown. Therefore, he goes for his third equation where Ln is defined as

Ln = V/m, where V is supposed to be known and m is the "given unknown". So
ultimately what his S turns out to be?

S = (m.L - V), as you have correctly put in your later part of the post as
"Surplus is an unobservable number times L, minus workers' wages?"

Therefore, contrary to Fred's claim S is not proportional to anything with the
proportionality factor m. Cheers, ajit sinha