[OPE-L:4051] Re: TheTransformationProblem

From: Steve Keen (s.keen@uws.edu.au)
Date: Wed Oct 11 2000 - 16:26:37 EDT

I haven't had time to read it--I envy the time you apparently have for
reading, since my roles at my university have eliminated my ability to read
widely. But I am glad that you agree that in general HOPE and the JHET
can't be simply dismissed as bourgeois mouthpieces.
Cheers,
Steve
At 00:14 11/10/00 -0700, you wrote:
>Re 4028
>
>>Rakesh,
>>
>>If you criticise HOPE and the JHET on that basis, then it shows you have
>>rarely if ever read them. Use that throw-away line for the AER or the EJ if
>>you like; most journals in the history of economic thought have somewhat
>>less ideologically driven standards. What applies amongst "professional
>>economists" does not necessarily apply to subgroups such as those
>>interested in the history of economic thought--though there are pockets of
>>mediocrity there too.
>>
>>Home 02 9558-8018 Mobile 0409 716 088
>>Home Page: http://bus.macarthur.uws.edu.au/steve-keen/
>

>There are no doubt great pieces in those journals. After all, HOPE
>beat both Stigler (1991) and Rosenberg (1994)to the recovery of
>Babbage by more than five years, no? And don't think I don't know
>that HOPE published Lapides' trans of Grossmann's wage theory. But
>now turning to Marx criticism, what do you make of the awful, short,
>and superficial  review by Brewer of the excellent Bellofiore
>volumes, which could be considered a real event in the current
>development of Marxian economics.
>
>All the best, Rakesh

Dr. Steve Keen
Senior Lecturer