[OPE-L:4161] Re: Who agrees with Popper?

From: Andrew Brown (Andrew@lubs.leeds.ac.uk)
Date: Thu Oct 19 2000 - 09:49:56 EDT

Steve,

Many thanks for the reply.

The 'return to practice' view, now prevalent amongst philosophers of
science, is precisely the relativist view that it is *not* the job of
philosopher to *prescribe* to scientists, to provide a definition of
science, as eg 'producer of falsifiable hypotheses', against which
actual scientific practice must be judged. Rather, a particular
science is what particular scientists do, according to this view. So
what you would 'find strange' doesn't occur. Philosophers of
science do not define science *a priori* at all. Rather they study
the practice of particular sciences, and may attempt to define them
*a posteriori*. Not surprisingly, in the case of neoclassical
economics, they conclude that neo-classical economics has very
little to do with falsifiablity.

Thus, there is no critical edge to the prevalent philosophy of
science. It is thoroughly 'post-modern', if you like. Lakatos went out
of favour in philosophy of science circles a long time ago; in
economic methodolgy circles (as opposed to circles of practicising
economists) few adherents of Lakatos are left - though there are
some. Have another look at the excellent intro to the Backhouse
collection on all this (there are other useful and more recent
collections which i don't have to hand).

My own limited knowledge on this comes from my being well
acquainted with critical realism (eg. I'm co-editing a book collection
on CR and Marxism). CR was born in the philosophy of science
discipline as a synthesis of the Popper-Kuhn-Lakatos tradition with
the realist tradition (eg Harre, Hansen, Hesse). It spent its early
years (the 70s) arguing against positivism (but also Feyerabend)
but now spends its time arguing against post-modernism - this
indicates the sea change in the philosophy of science (away from
Popper-Kuhn-Lakatos), and in the social science and humanities
more generally, towards post-modernism.

I disagree with the 'return to practice' view and with CR, and also
with any 'falsifiability' view, by the way, at least as the term
'falsifiablility' is usually understood. The tension between
prescription and description is a manifestion of the contradiction
between the universal and the particular that drives the dialectic.

But I remain very interested to find out where other people stand.
Who believes in 'falsifiablity' as a litmus test for science? This is an
important question. For example, the fact that Steve and myself
have very different readings of Capital will be related to our different
readings of the state of play in contemporary philosophy of science.

Thanks again,

Andy