[OPE-L:4187] Re: Re: Part II of Volume 3 of Capital

From: Rakesh Narpat Bhandari (rakeshb@Stanford.EDU)
Date: Fri Oct 20 2000 - 13:32:05 EDT

Re Paul C's 4186

>Paul C:
>I agree that the examples used by Marx in his price of production
>theory are not reproduction schemes.
>On the other hand, if his tranformation technique were to be both
>consistent and general, it would apply under conditions of
>simple reproduction.

Why exactly are unit output prices changing from unit input prices
inconsistent?

As for generality, this makes little sense to me.

The equalisation of profit rates is very much the result of
capitalist development. For Marx, the more capital develops, the more
the average rate of profit becomes the form in which the law of value
asserts itself. There is this crucial historical dimension to the so
called transformation.

Now it seems entirely inappropriate to me to analyze a highly
developed and dynamic capitalist society in which capital markets are
sufficiently sophisticated that they can actually enable a tendency
towards the equalisation of profit rates in terms of simple
reproduction or equilibrium. This is exactly not the kind of system
in which there would be a tendency towards the equalisation of profit
rates.

In other words, why should a value based transformation be general
enough to apply to cases in which the average rate of profit itself
is an anachronism or non entity? Why should it have to conform to
special assumptions (input prices=output prices) which cannot be
generalized to a highly developed capitalist society in which the
tendency towards the equalisation of profit rates actually does
assert itself?

>The temporalist arguements seem to me to involve finding special
>cases where extended reproduction will cause Marx's transformation
>technique to give the right answer.

No the temporalist approach obviously involves exactly those cases
which are  typical of capitalist development. Remember Allin's simple
reproduction scheme, reconfigured to allow for exactly a
characteristic interperiodic increase in productivity. Such a system
can be shown to exhibit exactly the small, if not statistically
insignificant, interperiodic changes in unit prices of production, r,
s/v that are typical of capitalist reality. This is a realistic time
path for the system.

Again, it is the invocation of the special, unrealistic, irrelevant
and anachronistic assumptions of equilibrium or simple reproduction
which cause Marx's transformation technique to give the wrong answer.

>Nobody will dispute that there are special cases where it works.

Of course it is simple reproduction and equilbrium which are special
cases where it does not work. Indeed they are cases of the same
realistic force as the reconquest of the earth by dinosaurs computed
from ancient DNA.

It is similar to falsifying the universal generalisation of black
ravens by pointing to the existence of an imagined non black raven in
a science fiction story. Not the kind of imaginative falsification
Popper had in mind.

>One does not have to bring time into this, for example if all
>organic compositions are the same it will work.

But this would be an unreasonable assumption to maintain for a highly
developed capitalist economy. Again, Marx is dropping the vol 2
assumptions--an economy wide VCC, exchange at value, constant value,
annual turnover of fixed capital. These enables a closer
approximation to the dynamic reality of capital accumulation.

>The question
>has always related to the generality of such solutions.
>Those objecting to Marx's technique have produced examples
>where they produce pathological results, positive profits
>with negative surplus value in Steadman's examples.

In the simultaneist method.

>It is not an adequate response to say that there are other
>special cases where Marx's method produces good results.

Again the power of projection. It is not an adequate response  to
point to the existence of bizarre, irrelevant conditions in which
there would not even be the principle of the average rate of profit
as cases where Marx's method produces bad results. It doesn't need to
produce results in such conditions.

>  Fair
>enough, but you need some response to the critique of lack
>of generality.
>
>Such a critique would have to be based on some argument
>either about the likelihood of certain classes of examples
>occuring, or from actual empirical observations of how
>often they occur.

This is exactly how I responded to Allin.

All the best, Rakesh