[OPE-L:4188] Re: Re: Re: falsifiability

From: Rakesh Narpat Bhandari (rakeshb@Stanford.EDU)
Date: Fri Oct 20 2000 - 15:22:21 EDT

I must say that I am bewildered by Steve's charge that I am
attempting to bury the putative litmus test of
science--falsifiability. (The demarcation problem between science and
pseudo science or--what is not the same thing-- science and
metaphysics is obviously quite a bit complicated than Steve is
letting on; Popper did afer all defend the meaningfulness of
metaphysics).

At any rate, perhaps he has heard of the bold, clearly falsifiable
predictions which have been made on the basis of the Marxian value
theory which I am attempting to defend against the charge of fatal
logical error?

Grossmann's in regards the imminent catastrope of the capitalist system (1929)?
Mattick Sr's in regard to the limits of the mixed economy (1969)?

Wasn't the latter perhaps the boldest actually confirmed prediction
made in post WWII social science?

All the best, Rakesh