[OPE-L:4191] Re: Who agrees with Popper? Well, not the Bayesians

From: Steve Keen (s.keen@uws.edu.au)
Date: Fri Oct 20 2000 - 23:09:53 EDT

Hi Julian,

No problem with any of your statements--I don't think falsifiability is of
much use in assessing the truth of theories either. What I was objecting to
was "developments" of theory which make it non-falsifiable.

And you have a case of mistaken identity: I didn't make any comments about
empirical research--I think Allin or Paul did that.

Cheers,
Steve
At 13:33 20/10/00 +0100, you wrote:
>Steve
>
>You might want to hold back on the thanks somewhat -- what I agree with in
>falsificationism is its use as a test of bona fides: I certainly *don't*
>think it's (usually) much use in assessing the truth of theories.
>
>This is for a reason which you bring out in another post: empirical evidence
>is rarely terribly conclusive, even if we leave the D-Q problem aside.
>
>Moreover, I'm surprised to see you instancing statistical testing of
>hypotheses, since falsification seems to be something that stat.s tests are
>intrinsically incapable of producing.
>
>Your account of your econometric work seemed to say that there have been
>(many?) occasions when the evidence, when it has become available, has
>lowered your degree of belief in your initial hypotheses.
>
>This, of course, is Bayesianism, which has always seemed to me highly
>effective as both description of and prescription for actual practice in
>empirical testing.
>
>Julian

Dr. Steve Keen
Senior Lecturer