[OPE-L:4190] Re: Re: Re: Who agrees with Popper?

From: Steve Keen (s.keen@uws.edu.au)
Date: Fri Oct 20 2000 - 23:07:59 EDT

Hi Andy,

I have read Tony's book, and am quite familiar with his work--which is why
I decided to read Bhaskar. In far too brief a nutshell, I am moderately
sympathetic to Tony's arguments, but regard some of them as lacking an
understanding of complexity theory, so that his case is somewhat
overstated. Bhaskar, on the other hand... well, put in the "hate CR" camp
on that front.

My reaction to the absence of concrete discussion isn't because I lament
the discussion of core theory--far from it. It is more an observation that,
over a century after Capital III, marxists are still dominated by trying to
solve or circumvent the transformation problem. That, to me, is an
indication of a degenerative SRP--if I can use Lakatos's term in full
knowledge that I won't convince anyone else on this list of that judgement.
I would prefer our discussions of core theory to be about, for example,
implementing a multi-agent model of Marx's production schema, or results
from simulations of ODE models, rather than what we actually talk about.

Cheers,
Steve

Dr. Steve Keen
Senior Lecturer