[OPE-L:4228] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Part Two of Volume III of Capital

From: Steve Keen (s.keen@uws.edu.au)
Date: Sun Oct 22 2000 - 18:53:07 EDT

Oh well, one last time then.

Firstly, you were wrong to dismiss linear algebra. As it happens, linear
algebra is an important tool in the analysis of dynamic systems. This is
because the stability properties of equilibria of a dynamic system are
determined by the linear component of the Taylor expansion of the system.
If you really want to do dynamics--rather than simply propose numerical
examples which are "almost just right", then you will need linear algebra
(at least to second year level) as well as calculus and differential
equations.

Secondly, numerical instances prove nothing, even when they are derived
from a properly specified closed dynamic model (which yours are not). For
example, I am sure that I could take your numerical examples and rework
them to support the proposition that machines are the source of all surplus
value; my defence of this proposition, using the same techniques you
employ, would be just as effective as your proof of the opposing
contention. Such a "proof by example" would therefore be as meaningless as
any of the numerical examples you proffer for the labor theory of value.

Andrew and I had a good off-list discussion on this recently. I sent him a
paper on my interpretation of Hansen-Samuelson "trade cycle" models, which
concludes that the model should have been third order. I mentioned that
this system generated both cycles and growth, with the cycles being
proportional to the level of output. Andrew sent back what he thought was a
counter-example to my interpretation, and with a couple of changes to his
numbers, I showed that it was not.

To know the overall characteristics of a dynamic model--even the linear one
which I sent Andrew--you have to determine the system's equilibria, and do
eigenvalue/vector analysis of them, before you can properly say what the
models character is: one or two randomly chosen numerical examples simply
won't do.

The problem is massively more complex with a nonlinear system, where
eigenvalue analysis only charcterises the system's behaviour in the loci of
equilibria. Then you have to bring out big guns--Lyapunov coefficients,
that sort of thing (in all of which, by the way,, you need skills acquired
in learning linear algebra--Gram-Schmidt renormalisation, for example, is
an essential part of calculating Lyapunov coefficients).

As for my comment about definitive proofs, it is the same issue as you
describe--the n-body problem and its generalisation. Once you have three or
more nonlinear differential equations in a system, there is no closed form
solution for it--unlike a linear system, and especially unlike a linear
algebraic system.

Finally, if you fully specified what you believe to be Marx's economics as
a differential equation system, then if the labor theory of value is
correct, your system should be valid for all rates of everything including
technical change, population growth, depreciation, prices--from zero up. If
the truth of the labor theory of value was dependent on specific levels of
these variables, then it is not a general truth.

It is possible to characterise the "simultaneist" analysis of the
transformation problem as a dynamic solution in which all rates of change
are set to zero. The conclusion of all these analyses is that the labor
theory of value cannot be right. What you are alleging is that,
effectively, the labor theory of value is only correct for positive rates
of technical change, etc. If so, then it is not a general truth, and your
approach to eliminating the transformation problem is as much a rejection
of the labor theory of value as any simultaneist formulation. This is the
point I believe that Allin was trying to get through to you (and as you
know, I believe it is untrue at any rate of change).

Steve

Dr. Steve Keen
Senior Lecturer
Economics & Finance