[OPE-L:4229] Re: Re: Re: Part Two of Volume III of Capital

From: Allin Cottrell (cottrell@wfu.edu)
Date: Sun Oct 22 2000 - 19:26:49 EDT

On Sat, 21 Oct 2000, Rakesh Bhandari
(bhandari@Princeton.EDU) wrote:

> I introduced one (count it: ONE) complicating. albeit
> utterly realistic, assumption to your non complex but
> utterly unrealistic simple reproduction tableau--that
> productivity would be 5% greater in this period than in the
> last.

No, when the assumption of increasing labour productivity didn't
"do the trick" you introduced the additional assumption that the
_value_ of the means of production carried forward had
increased.  This was unrelated to your previous ad hoc
assumption, which implies only that the physical quantity of
means of production carried forward would be greater than that
used up at the outset.  The value of means of prod carried
forward can increase only if the rate of surplus value increases
or there is more labour employed.  Either of these assumptions
would, as I said, simply "change the subject" by altering the
value system that we were trying to transform to prices of
production.

Allin Cottrell.