[OPE-L:4249] Re: Re: Re: RE: Interest rates in Japan [re OPE-L:4154]

From: Steve Keen (s.keen@uws.edu.au)
Date: Mon Oct 23 2000 - 22:35:06 EDT

Thanks Akira,

As I said, my answer was brief--by which I meant very rushed--so I'm glad
it provoked someone who knows more about this to contribute.

Just a query--I thought the official rate had been near-zero for many
years, from about 1993 till 1999 (at about 0.1%, I thought). Your
correction to my statement here is a bit confusing: do you mean that a rate
of exactly zero was only instituted in March 1999, or that the rate was
moved above zero then? I thought the zero rate was only abolished early
this year.

On the boom itself, yes that's true; but the real acceleration in real
estate prices began after the 1987 stock market crash, I thought. And the
peak of the Nikkei was also at the very end of 1989--though as you say,
real estate prices continued to rise.

Incidentally, is this book by Garyt on Minsky? IF so, you might like to
elaborate on his theories of financial instability for the benefit of other
list members.

All the best,
Steve
At 09:36 24/10/00 +0900, you wrote:
>Dear Steve,
>
>It was only March /1999 that the Bank of Japan adopted the "Zero interest
rate policy" that induced the call rate up to 0 %.

>And I think the period of Japanese bubble was 1985-1990 or 1991. Because
prices of Japanese real estate had increased until 1991.