[OPE-L:4288] Re: Re: Re: Re: Part Two of Volume III of Capital

From: Rakesh Narpat Bhandari (rakeshb@Stanford.EDU)
Date: Thu Oct 26 2000 - 00:07:25 EDT

re Allin's 4281:

You also wrote further below:

>My inclination is to minimize the "transformation problem" along
>the lines proposed by Farjoun and Machover in their "Laws of
>Chaos" (Verso, 1983), rather than trying (for the nth time, and
>quite hopelessly) to reverse the historic judgment enacted upon
>the transformation (on the maintained hypothesis of an equalized
>rate of profit) by the economics profession since Bortkiewicz.

Allin,
I need not make the argument from the perspective of realism. Let's
make it matter of formally interpreting Bortkiewicz.

It's a mathematical result after all; it has to be interpreted.

I got lost in the Ingrao and Israel analysis of Wald (working now on
learning some mathematical techniques), but the point is clear: Wald
analyzed in formal terms the conditions which must hold for there to
exist an equilibrium solution to the price problem.

One could then interpret Bortkiewicz's finding as simply implying
that Marx's transformation/value theoretic determination of r can
hold only if prices are not in equilibrium. If the goal of economic
theory had not been the determination of the vector of equilibrium
prices,  Bortkiewicz's finding would have been considered
intrinsically uninteresting since it is obvious that this restriction
would never be imposed in a dynamic capitalist economy, anyway.
(In the Freeman and Carchedi volume, Michele Naples makes some quite
brilliant comments in this regard, pp. 100-1).

It comes back to Alejandro's point why Sweezy and the economics
profession did not interpret Bortkiewicz that way.  The
transformation problem is indeed a problem in the sociology of
(bourgeois) knowledge.  The question comes back to 1)why the
determination of a vector of equilibrium prices is considered the
goal of economic theory  and 2) why Bortkiewicz's finding was
interpreted as demonstration of a fatal logical error, instead of a
specification of the restrictions on a value theoretic 'solution' to
the average profit rate. The answer to both questions of course is
the same...

>You may say, "But the equalized rate of profit is the terrain of
>the argument between Ricardo and Malthus -- Marx had to accept
>it, in order to intervene effectively."  I respond: One always
>has a choice between (a) accepting one's opponents' chosen
>terrain for the sake of argument, and making the best of it, or
>(b) stating a case for the principled rejection of one's
>opponents' terrain of argument.

It's not a choice. Marx does both.

>It's my impression that some real capitalist economies over some
>(relatively brief) historical periods may have more or less
>approximated simple reproduction;

But Marx's point is exactly that in early capitalism, capital markets
had not developed to serve as a mechanism for the equalisation of
profit rates. Said tendency is the *historical result* of a dynamic,
growing capitalist system in which BTW the condition input
prices=output prices simply has no chance of realisation. Therefore
the restriction on the solution itself is of no interest,  an
intrinsically uninteresting finding which makes no real positive
contribution to economic knowledge.

>on the other hand, I don't
>believe that _any_ real capitalist economies over any historical
>period have closely approximated an equalized rate of profit.

Both the tendency towards the equalisation of profit rates and the
search for surplus profit (grossmann, mandel) are strengthened by the
development of capitalism; they are both its historical results, both
the consequence of the search for maximum profit.  Why does Marx
abstract from the latter in the transformation? Simply because he
wants to show that equalisation itself gives rise to those estranged
forms in terms of  which bourgeois economists, apologists that they
are, happily base their analyses. So near the end of chap 10 Marx
highlights this immanent critique of classical economics.

Unlike Ajit and Duncan, I do not read Marx here saying that
competition is pushing prices towards their long term equilibrium (i
think these are the passages Duncan has in mind, he has not given any
page numbers); rather he is saying that due to competition, the
equalizing of the profit leads to the obscuring of the determination
of economic magnitudes by value, explaining why economists are so
happy to lose themselves in the categories derived from and
constitutive of everyday bourgeois practice.

Which to me suggests that one has a better chance of understanding
Marx if one works from the sociologist Bourdieu (recalling my class
with Loic Wacquant and reading of Postone) than Marxist economists:

"Habitus is the product of the work of inculcation and appropriation
necessary in order for those products of collective history, the
objective structures (e.g. of language, economy, etc) to succeed in
reproducing themselves more or less completely, in the form of
durable dispositions, in the organisms (which one can, if one wishes,
call individuals) lastingly subjected to the same conditionings."
(outline of a theory of practice, p.86)

In fact, one may even have a better chance of understanding Marx's
analysis of these estranged forms if she begins with the pompous
Heidegger's jargon of publicness and everydayness (to recall my
philosophy course with Hubert Dreyfus years ago).

Yours, Rakesh