[OPE-L:4289] Re: Steve on the worthlessness of labor as the source of surplus value

From: Steve Keen (s.keen@uws.edu.au)
Date: Wed Oct 25 2000 - 15:39:55 EDT

Hi Alejandro,

I take the point that you're more developing your ideas than engaging in
debate. And I agree that Marx was a historical thinker. But I argue he was
also a thinker who tried to put his historical thinking into a logical
framework--rather than doing the reverse, which you rightly observe is the
way Walras et al behave.

So, given those points of agreement and one qualification, how would you
interpret the following statements by Marx?:

"On the other hand, the obscurantist has overlooked that my analysis of the
commodity does not stop at the dual mode in which the commodity is
presented, [but] presses forward [so] that in the dual nature of the
commodity there is presented the twofold *character* of *labour*, whose
product it is: *useful* labour, i.e., the concrete modes of labour, which
create use values, and abstract *labour, labour as the expenditure of
labour-power*,... that *surplus value* itself is derived from a `specific'
*use-value of labour-power* which belongs to it exclusively etc etc., that
hence with me use value plays an important role completely different than
[it did]] in previous [political] economy" (comment on Wagner)

Does not the statement "that *surplus value* itself is derived from a
`specific' *use-value of labour-power*" imply that Marx was using a form of
logic--as well as a historical argument--to assert that labour is the
source of surplus value?

Then there are also his commentaries on Ricardo's inability to explain why
the price of labour should be such that capitalists can make a profit out
of it:

“Ricardo, by contrast, avoids this fallacy, but how? ‘The value of labour,
and the quantity of commodities which a specific quantity of labour can
buy, are not identical.’ Why not? ‘Because the worker’s product … is not =
to the worker’s pay.’ I.e. the identify does not exist, because a
difference exists… Value of labour is not identical with wages of labour.
Because they are different. Therefore they are not identical. This is a
strange logic. There is basically no reason for this other than it is not
so in practice.”

By accusing Ricardo of "strange logic", is he not asserting that he has a
logical basis for his proof? He then provides it:

“Labour capacity is not = to the living labour which it can do, = to the
quantity of labour which it can get done - this is its use-value. It is
equal to the quantity of labour by means of which it must itself be
produced. The product is thus in fact exchanged not for living labour, but
for objectified labour, labour objectified in labour capacity. Living
labour itself is a use-value possessed by the exchange value [,labour
capacity,] which the possessor of the product [,the capitalist,] has
acquired in trade”.

And there again we see the concepts of use-value and exchange-value in
conjunction with the solution to the mystery of the origin of
surplus-value. I see logic and historical analysis together, not a
preference for the latter over the former--and certainly not the former
being conducted at the level of a Walras.

Cheers,
Steve

Dr. Steve Keen Senior Lecturer Economics & Finance University of Western Sydney Macarthur Building 11 Room 30, Goldsmith Avenue, Campbelltown PO Box 555 Campbelltown NSW 2560 Australia s.keen@uws.edu.au 61 2 4620-3016 Fax 61 2 4626-6683 Home 02 9558-8018 Mobile 0409 716 088 Home Page: http://bus.macarthur.uws.edu.au/steve-keen/