[OPE-L:4294] Re: Re: Re: Re: Steve on the worthlessness of labor at the source of surplus value

From: TonyTinker (TonyTinker@email.msn.com)
Date: Thu Oct 26 2000 - 01:54:57 EDT

Steve: I also lean towards a Hegelian reading of Marx (concurring with
Lenin's dictum that the first chapter of Volume I can only be understood
without first reading Hegel's LOGIC).  And certainly this implies giving
much less weight to the economistic pursuits that see to dominate much of
the discussion on this listserv.   But isn't the antagonism between labor
(and labor power) still vital aspect of the dialectical make-up of the
commodity form in chapter 1 of Volume I?   If 'value is a social relation'
(i.e., an expropriative relation) then surely wage labor, in producing
value, is also producing this antagonistic (dialectical) relation?

The strength of this dialectical perspective lies in the kind of political
Marxism it engenders (relative to the passive descriptions of many
economistic readings).   Praxis embodies this, by acknowledging how we may
be both structured, and structuring, of our circumstances.

Fraternally, TT