[OPE-L:4309] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Part Two of Volume III of Capital

From: Allin Cottrell (cottrell@wfu.edu)
Date: Thu Oct 26 2000 - 16:03:30 EDT

On Thu, 26 Oct 2000 glevy@pratt.edu wrote:

> Allin wrote in [OPE-L:4281]:
>
> > <snip, JL>; on the other hand, I don't
> > believe that _any_ real capitalist economies over any historical
> > period have closely approximated an equalized rate of profit.
>
> This is a very strong empirical/historical claim, imo. Do
> you have the data "for _any_ (and all?, JL) real capitalist
> economies over any (and all "modern"?, JL) historical
> period"(s)?  If not, how do you support the above claim?

I don't mean that I have very extensive data.  But the data we
do have show fairly wide and stable dispersion of profit rates.
There are also strong a priori grounds for such a claim: Given
the randomness inherent in the "anarchy of the market" it's very
improbable that the distribution of profit rates should be
almost degenerate.

Allin.