[OPE-L:4320] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Part Two of Volume III of Capital

From: Paul Cockshott (paul@cockshott.com)
Date: Fri Oct 27 2000 - 04:49:57 EDT

On Tue, 24 Oct 2000, you wrote:
> Re Allin's 4258
>
> >On Tue, 24 Oct 2000, Rakesh Narpat Bhandari wrote:
> >
> >>  These equilibrium habits are hard to break.
> >
> >What is the assumption of an equalized profit rate, if not an
> >"equilibrium habit"?
>
> The profit rate is equalized at t-1 as it is equalized at t+1. It
> need not be *exactly the same* equalized profit rate as your
> equilibrium thinking insists against all realism.

The point is that something must happen to cool the
system down and narrow the dispersion of profit rates
if you are going to have a single average profit rate.
The question at issue is not whether the rate is the same
in two time periods, but how you can achieve such
a low entropy in the first place. I would have thought
that it is only concievable over a long time period in
the absence of changes in technology or external
perturbations.
--
Paul Cockshott, University of Glasgow, Glasgow, Scotland
0141 330 3125  mobile:07946 476966