[OPE-L:4351] Re: 'natural price'

From: Andrew Brown (Andrew@lubs.leeds.ac.uk)
Date: Sun Oct 29 2000 - 10:28:55 EST

Rakesh,

1) Marx is saying in the footnote (just prior to chapter 6, Vol. 1)
that over the 'long period of time' there is an 'average price' that is
'ultimately' determined by value. He explicitly makes clear that
value does not equal average price - he clearly has in mind prices
of production. Moreover, he mentions Smith and Ricardo in just this
context without any qualification regarding their centre of gravity
concept. I'm not sure how much stronger textual evidence you can
get.

I am doubtful as to the validity of this 'empirical average' notion but I
can't read the footnote any other way. I would be quite happy to
drop any idea that this 'regulating price' exhibits stability over
periods of months and years. I don't think we lose anything in
dropping this view (the logic remains). It seems to be contingent on
more concrete aspects whether or not such stability is displayed,
and I don't have the knowledge of these more concrete aspects.

Two relevant further points:

- The footnote is not intimately connected with the chapter (btw,
my reading of this chapter does not see marx as making any
dodgy assumptions re interest and merchant capital). This is why it
is a footnote.

- One thing that maybe throwing our discussion is your, to my
mind, strange notion that Walrasian equilibrium and Ricardian /
Smithian 'natural prices' have a great deal in common. I'm no
historian of economic thought but I would have thought the two are
entirely distinct. I'm certain that modern day 'general equilibrium'
prices are completely different to Smith and Ricardo's natural
prices. Eg. there is absolutely nothing in standard general
equilibrium analysis to tell us the relation of it's exchange ratios to
reality. And the whole GE thing does seem irredeemably static.

On a different matter:

My interpretation of Ilyenkov is a minority one. But let me just say
that my interpretation is at odds with your 'successive
approximations' reading of 'Capital'. Ilyenkov sees Marx as
'developing' the law of value. This is an immanent development not
an ongoing setting and relaxing of arbitrary assumptions. I mention
this because you often invoke Ilyenkov re the transformation
problem (and don't get me wrong, I am delighted that you do, even
if I don't agree with your interpretation).

Many thanks,

Andy