[OPE-L:4349] Re: Technical change and general truths

From: Steve Keen (s.keen@uws.edu.au)
Date: Sun Oct 29 2000 - 20:22:20 EST

Hi Julian,

Perhaps I put my point poorly. It was that the LTV needs to be a truth
which can sustain a range of *non-negative* rates of technical change
(amongst a range of other possible changing features). I don't think any
social system could sustain itself while these were negative--negative
rates of profit, for example, wouldn't be a condition that I would require
a coherent model of capitalism to be able to sustain.

The issue for me is that Marx "proved" that labour was the only source of
surplus-value under the supposition that everything was bought and sold at
its value. This then raises a conundrum about the relation between constant
rates of surplus-value and simultaneously (a tendency towards) constant
rates of profit across industry sectors when the capital to labour ratios
vary.

The TSS approach to this is to dismiss consideration of a state in which
rates of change equal zero, and provide numerical examples where the twin
propositions above cannot be contradicted.

My take on this is that, from a TSS point of view, the initial
proposition--that labour is the only source of surplus--is only sustainable
in a consistent way in the analysis of a multi-sectoral economy when these
rates of change are non-zero.

That, to me, effectively contradicts Marx's initial proposition that:

"To explain, therefore, the general nature of profits, you must start from
the theorem that, on the average, commodities are sold at their real
values, and that profits are derived by selling them at their values, that
is, in proportion to the quantity of labour realised in them. If you cannot
explain profit upon this supposition, you cannot explain it at all."( Marx
1847)

This appears to kiss the essence of the labour theory of value goodbye, in
the guise of defending it from unwarranted criticism.

Cheers,
Steve

Dr. Steve Keen
Senior Lecturer