[OPE-L:4850] Re: The TSSI vs. Physicalism

From: Gerald_A_Levy (Gerald_A_Levy@email.msn.com)
Date: Thu Feb 08 2001 - 11:22:17 EST

A brief comment on Andrew K's [OPE-L:4849]:

> In OPE-L 4846, Rieu, following up on Jerry's point,
> wrote:
> What analytical difference TSS interpretation can bring > in  examining
more concrete issues on capitalist
> economy, more   concrete level  than moral > depreciation or TRPF?"
>  <snip, JL>
> But first I need to object to the implication that Marx's > law of  the
tendential fall in the profit rate and moral
> depreciation are  not concrete.

Rieu didn't imply that the TRPF and MD are "not concrete".  Rather, he asked
for a discussion from a TSS perspective of  "MORE concrete issues" (emphasis
added, JL).

In asserting that there *are* "more concrete issues" than the TRPF and MD, I
believe that Rieu is only following Marx.

E.g. in Volume 3, Ch. 14 (where Marx only mentions the "most general"  [!]
( what are the *other*  factors?, JL) of the counteracting factors to what
we have been calling in shorthand the TRPF he makes it clear that the TRPF
and the counteracting factors suggested in this section concern the "general
analysis of capital" (thus he writes that the reduction of wages below their
value ... "has its place in an account of competition, which is not dealt
with in this work. It is none the less one of the most important factors in
stemming the tendency for the rate of profit to fall").

Since you mention, in responding to Rieu, the economic crisis in Korea let
me not some additional factors that have to be considered:

* recent class conflict in Korea;
* industrial structure and competition in Korea;
* the role of transnational corporations in Korea;
* the role of the state (and conflict within the state over policy);
*foreign trade and foreign trade policy;
* the role of  bank and financial capital, including the role of
international lending agencies like the IMF and the WB;
* economic crisis in other countries, e.g. Japan.

Etc. Etc. Etc.

These are all factors that would have to be considered when addressing such
a MORE concrete question. What, if anything, does TSS suggest about those
factors?

In solidarity, Jerry