[OPE-L:4851] Is [temporal single-system] a Copernican revolution? (Huh?)

From: Drewk (Andrew_Kliman@msn.com)
Date: Thu Feb 08 2001 - 17:24:06 EST

Jerry, what you say in OPE-L 4848 is wrong.

"[T]he pairing of TSS to a "Copernican revolution" was suggested
by Alan F and Andrew K themselves in both the title and content of
the announcement for their talk."

There is no pairing.  The announcement doesn't even mention the
TSSI.

"Who was it that asserted that TSS represents a Copernican
revolution in Marxian value theory? It was not I -- rather, this
was Alan's and Andrew's assertion in the announcement for the talk
itself."

No, it was not.  Please read the announcement again.

Jerry's "confusion" stems from his -- and others' --
indiscriminate  use of the term "TSS" to refer to things other
than the temporal single-system interpretation of Marx's value
theory.  (I wish that would stop, but I know it won't, because
certain things are at stake.)  He thereby confuses theory and
interpretation.  This way of using the term "TSS" doesn't make
sense, not even grammatically, as is clear when one spells out
"temporal single-system" in what Jerry wrote:

"(I wrote the following and paused before deciding to send. I in
no way
intend the following to be an assault on [temporal single-system]
or any individual on the list."

"If one wants to claim that [temporal single-system] really does
represent
a Copernicun revolution in Marxian value theory then one must
demonstrate
that one has developed a revolutionary advance *beyond* what Marx
wrote."

"The rest of the sentence is assertive and we could all think of
many
examples where Marxists outside of [temporal single-system] have
not employed the "general
equilibrium paradigm of orthodox economics"."

"I guess one could claim that there are certain "foundational
principles" (my
expression, JL) of [temporal single-system] that all writers from
that perspective have in
common."

"Some from [temporal single-system] have advanced some
perspectives on today's global economy, to be sure."

"Rather, the pairing of [temporal single-system] to a "Copernican
revolution" was suggested by Alan F and Andrew K themselves in
both the title
and content of the announcement for their talk. One, therefore,
must conclude
that for them (Alan and Andrew) it is not merely a "side aspect"
for what they
are claiming re the significance of [temporal single-system]."

"Who was it that asserted that [temporal single-system] represents
Copernican revolution in Marxian value theory?"

"In any event, what do you think about the claim that
[temporal single-system] allows for a better understanding of the
contemporary global economy?"