[OPE-L:4933] Re: RE: Re: RE: Epicycles (was "causes of changes in prices of production")

From: Fred B. Moseley (fmoseley@mtholyoke.edu)
Date: Sat Feb 17 2001 - 01:09:14 EST

On Sat, 17 Feb 2001, Drewk wrote:

> Fred claims that, according to his interpretation of Marx, a
> change in technology will ALWAYS lead to a change in production
> prices.  I want to *test* that claim.  (emphasis added)

Andrew, you are right about this point.  Changes in productivity do not
ALWAYS lead to changes in the prices of production, because changes in
productivity in one sector of the economy may be offset by changes in
other sectors of the economy.  I overlooked this possibility in my earlier
formulations.  However, this does not affect my main point, which is that
all changes in prices of production are ultimately due changes in the
productivity of labor, or changes in the value of commodities.  This
correction affects the "if" clause of my previous formulation, but not the
"only if " clause.

In other words, a change in the productivity of labor is a NECESSARY
CONDITION for changes in prices of production, but is NOT a SUFFICIENT
CONDITION for changes in prices of production.

But this correction does not affect my critique of your interpretation of
prices of production, because this critique has to do with whether or not
changes in productivity are a NECESSARY CONDITION for changes in prices of
production.  In other words, prices of production cannot change as long as
the productivity of labor remain constant, which contradicts your
interpretation in which prices of production change even though the
productivity of labor remains constant.

Thanks for the continuing discussion.

Comradely,
Fred