[OPE-L:4932] Re: RE: causes of changes in prices of production

From: Fred B. Moseley (fmoseley@mtholyoke.edu)
Date: Sat Feb 17 2001 - 01:06:23 EST

On Sat, 17 Feb 2001, Drewk wrote:

> He wrote:  "even if I am mistaken about market prices and the rate
> of profit in Chapter 6 of Volume 3, this does not affect the
> validity of my criticism of Andrew's
> interpretation of Marx's prices of production."
>
> What, in your opinion, WOULD affect the validity of your
> criticism?  Under what conditions would you be willing to concede
> that your criticism is indeed invalid?  I really need to know.  As
> I've noted, "WHAT'S THE POINT OF FURTHER "DISCUSSION," IF YOU'RE
> GOING TO BE 'RIGHT' NO MATTER WHAT?"
>
> Andrew Kliman

Andrew, thanks for your question.  I realize it is not the first time you
have asked the question and I am happy to answer it.

I would be willing to concede that my criticism of your interpretation of
Marx's prices of production is invalid if there were passages in Marx's
manuscripts (the more the better) in which he explicitly stated that
prices of production may change due to input prices not being equal to
output prices, as in your interpretation.  In other words, passages at
least as clear as the ones I have quoted or referenced in which Marx
stated that all changes in prices of production are ultimately due changes
in the productivity of labor, or changes in the value of commodities.

But I know of no such passages.  If you do, please let me know.

Comradely,
Fred