[OPE-L:4971] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: arms, roads and fictitious capital

From: Rakesh Narpat Bhandari (rakeshb@Stanford.EDU)
Date: Mon Feb 19 2001 - 18:05:26 EST

Paul B writes in 4969

>PRIVATE CONTRACTORS PRODUCING  MEANS OF PRODUCTION UPON RECEIVING
>STATE ORDERS, WHO THUS SELL THEIR PRODUCT TO THE STATE THROUGH THE
>MARKET  -  BIDDING AGAINST OTHER PRODUCERS FOR THE CONTRACT - , ARE
>PART OF DEPT I.

Yes but those goods, unlike other dept one goods, will not absorb
surplus labor in the production of value and surplus value.  If the
state buys computers for use in a public university, those means of
production are not used to absorb surplus labor. So in what sense are
they means of production?

>  >2. how does Marx define revenue? I ANSWER THIS ABOVE, IN PART. IN
>ADDITION THE WORKERS SPEND THEIR OWN WAGES AS REVENUE (THEY ARE NOT
>CAPITALISTS)

But we are interested in how surplus value is split between
capitalisation and expenditure as revenue. Only that part of surplus
value devoted to the latter is revenue, as I understand it. Wages are
wages. If surplus value is seized by the state through taxes or
loaned, it has defacto been expended as revenue (except in the case
of a state capitalist enterprise in which commodity output is
produced by wage labor)...even if the purchased bond generates a
stream of interest payments.

>  I DO NOT KNOW OF FRED AND MURRAY'S ARGUMENT. I SHALL ASK FRED - WHO
>SHOWS HIMSELF TO BE A MOST PATIENT FELLOW -

Yes, their opinions would be most highly appreciated. I am willing to
be convinced that I am wrong by you and them.

>The value of highways, airports, >bridges,  or seaports is NOT
>preserved in their use and transferred
>gratis by labor to commodity output. WHY NOT? I SUPPOSE YOU WOULD
>ACCEPT THAT THIS WOULD BE THE CASE WHERE PRIVATE TURNPIKES OPERATE?
>WHY NOT WHERE THE STATE OPERATE THE TURNPIKE?
>IS A MARKET NOT IN SOME SENSE OPERATING? SIMPLY BECAUSE THE MANNER
>IN WHICH THE VALUE OF THE ROADS RECONVERTS ITSELF INTO MONEY ( ROAD
>TAXES) IS ARRANGED DIFFERENTLY , THE STATE NOW HAS TO REPRODUCE
>THOSE ROADS (THE CONSTANT CAPITAL) OR THIER MEMBERS - THE
>CAPITALISTS - WILL TURF THEM OUT.
>  THE  STALLED UK EXPERIMENT IN CREATING PRIVATE TOLL SUPER HIGHWAYS
>ALONG THE SIDE OF EXISTING STATE ROADS  ONLY EMPHASISES THE PRESENT
>ARRANGEMENT AS MORE RATIONAL FROM A CLASS STANDPOINT, AND HAS BEEN
>REPLACED BY DEMANDS FOR INCREASED SPENDING ON ROADS AND RAIL BY THE
>STATE. DEMAND IS MOVING TO RAIL AGAIN, THE STATE FOLLOWS THE NEEDS
>OF INDUSTRY AND COMMERCE, DOING COLLECTIVELY WHAT CANNOT BE DONE
>PRIVATELY.

A TRUCK DRIVEN FROM A TO B VIA A STATE ARRANGED ROAD, WHOSE OWNER
PAYS BY TOLL OR OTHER TAX, WEARS OUT THE ROAD IN THE PROCESS AND THE
COMMODITIES HE TRANSPORTS BENEFIT FROM THE SPATIAL REAARANGEMENTS
AFFORDED, SO CARRYING IN THEM PART OF THE DEAD LABOUR BUILT INTO THE
ROAD ITSELF. THIS IS WHY THE TOLL/TAX IS PAID! THE REPRODUCTION OF
THE ROAD NOW REQUIRES THAT THOSE TOLLS AND TAXES ARE ONCE AGAIN
TRANSFORMED INTO UP-TO-DATE ROADS, THAT THE CONSTANT CAPITAL IS
REPRODUCED IN THIS PRACTICAL FORM FROM THE MONEY FORM MEDIATED
THROUGH THE STATE. SUCH CONSTANT CAPITAL WILL BE EXPANDED AS NEEDS
REQUIRE AS CAPITAL OVERALL EXPANDS.

1. But you leave out the possibility that the state collects no tolls
for roads. So there is no reconversion of the road into money in many
cases. Would you classify roads as constant capital in this case?

2. it does not follow from the fact that there are tolls that the
tolls represent depreciation on roads, bridges, canals or seaports.
These tolls can simply be taxes which are easy to collect and
difficult to evade.

3. the state invests in roads but not for the purposes of surplus
value production. Even if the costs of the road are recovered so that
roads can be kept in place over the long haul, surplus value has not
been extracted. Thus, the surplus value which was taken or borrowed
to pay private contractors to build those roads has in fact been
expended as revenue. To pay back the bond the state will then have to
seize surplus value from the private economy.

>  >?( I HAVE SAID NOTHING ABOUT THIS. WHY  MAKE SUCH SILLY
>ASSERTIONS.?...IT IS CLEAR TO MANY THAT I HAVE STRESSED THE CONCEPT
>OF FICTITIOUS CAPITAL PUBLICLY CONSISTENTLY SINCE 1975 IN ORDER TO
>TRACE THROUGH THE ACTUAL CONVERSION PROCESSES OF CAPITAL, AND TO
>UNDERSTAND FINANCIAL MARKETS)

I explain above why I think govt securities are a form of fictitious capital.

Yours, Rakesh