[OPE-L:4974] Evil Twins, smoking guns, and The Score Card

From: Gerald_A_Levy (Gerald_A_Levy@email.msn.com)
Date: Mon Feb 19 2001 - 19:05:43 EST

Re Andrew's [OPE-L:4973]:

> The TSSI demolishes the claims that Marx's value
> theory has been
> PROVEN TO BE self-contradictory.
> But refuting false proofs of internal inconsistency is NOT the
> same thing as proving internal consistency.
> To my knowledge, no proponent of the TSSI --
> especially not I --
> has EVER, EVER, EVER asserted that Marx's theory > is not
> self-contradictory nor logically flawed.

I would have to go back into TSSI posts to examine this question more. Was
the intent of "The Scorecard", for instance,  only to show that Marx's
theory has not been proven to be self-contradictory?  Rather, didn't you
claim (of course, I am paraphrasing) that because the TSSI was able to
"replicate" (I think that's the quote) Marx's quantitative results, this was
something that would heavily weigh in its favor?  And has the claim of the
Copernican Marxists (e.g. in Alan's recent post) only been that they had
refuted *other* interpretations?  Rather, didn't TSS proponents make claims
about the internal consistency of Marx re such topics as the transformation
and the TRPF?

Yet, for instance, the position taken by Ted and you re the transformation
has involved a particular claim about
what can cause prices of production to change in Marx's theory. This claim
has now been *refuted*  (by the "smoking gun" cited by Fred).  This should
lead us to ask questions about all other claims that you have made re that
topic.

> This is a LIE INVENTED AND PROPAGATED BY OUR OPPONENTS in order to
> try to discredit us, to make us look like dogmatists.

[It must have been invented by the evil twin!]

> I think you should issue a public retraction.

See above.

In solidarity, Jerry