[OPE-L:5525] Re: Re: William of Ockam's Razor and Political Economy

From: Andrew Brown (Andrew@lubs.leeds.ac.uk)
Date: Wed May 09 2001 - 08:25:48 EDT

Hi Nicky,

Indeed your original post was not trying to do much. Though it was
doing a little bit more than your response would seem to imply.
For example in your original post you wrote, '... some of us will
never be convinced that language/theory/ fact can ever be anything
other than a construction/ reconstruction in thought...' . Which
implies presumably that 'some others of us' disagree with you and
that this disagreement has practical relevance.

Whilst 'on the run' you have clarified that the reconstruction you
refer to is not a 'reconstruction' of the 'world' (even though you refer
to the 'world' later on in your original paragraph). Rather it is a
'reconstruction' of 'Marxian concepts'. The question then becomes,
so what? What is the point of reconstructing 'Marxian concepts'?
The only convincing answer I can think of is, 'these concepts
denote reality'. And denote must mean something like an
isomorphism of thought (concepts) and reality (the world). At least,
one way or another, you *must* be presupposing a (close)
relationship between Marxian concepts and reality, on pain of
irrelevance.

A while back there was a discussion of the philosophy of science
on this list which seemed to indicate that few people broke
decisively with the terms of the traditional debate between
Pooper/Kuhn/Lakatos/Feyerabend. Your comments fit well with my
view that Hegelian systematic dialectics doesn't either. That's why I
responded to your original post.

What is lacking from those terms is the recognition of an objective
world. This is indeed the 'criterion' for concepts, theories, theories
against theories, etc. As you say below, you 'probably' disagree
with this statement (with any single criterion for theory etc.). I fear
scepticism is the inevitable result, thus do not find the vision of
'many blossoming ideas' a 'nice' one in this context - my
disagreement with this view was another prompt to repsond to your
post.

Finally, how it is possible to have a 'theory' of 'thought' of the
'thinking head' without a theory of mind? When talking about
anything I presumably have some idea of what it is that I am talking
about. To talk of water boiling I have a theory of water; to talk of the
capitalist state i have a theory of capitalism, to talk about thought i
have a theory of mind. Without this then statements would lack
any essential meaning. Ok it (the theory of mind) may be implicit,
but nevertheless it is surely essential. To omit discussion of it is
not to lack a theory of it, therefore.

Sorry to ask such silly questions whilst you are on the run. Hope
you would be interested to respond when the chance allows it.

Best wishes,

Andy