[OPE-L:5613] Re: is value (a form of) labor?

From: howard engelskirchen (lhengels@igc.org)
Date: Thu May 17 2001 - 22:18:09 EDT

Jerry,

re your 5599,

I would agree with the critique offered of the proposition that "labor is
value."  Labor itself is activity, living labor, and as such has no value,
though by being expended in the production of commodities it becomes value.
(But from the excerpt I wouldn't for myself draw broader conclusions about
whether or not Mandel understood the importance of the form of value to the
labor theory of value.)

On the other hand given the proposition that value is a form of expended
labor, the notion that "value is labor," so understood, seems unproblematic.

Comradely,

Howard