[OPE-L:5659] Re: Re: Re: Re: Reduction

From: Steve Keen (s.keen@uws.edu.au)
Date: Wed May 23 2001 - 20:18:06 EDT

Read Bose, A., (1980). Marx on Exploitation and Inequality, Oxford
University Press, Delhi.

While it is true that the value of commodities can be *measured* in
objectified labour, it cannot be *reduced* to objectified labour. Hence if
value is the essence of the commodity, then that essence cannot be reduced
to labour alone.

Cheers,
Steve
At 01:49 AM 5/24/01 Thursday, you wrote:
>re: Steve's 5654
>
>>The problem is simply put Rakesh:
>>
>>If you believe that commodities can be resolved into labour and labour
>>alone, then you believe in magic.
>
>But Steve no one is saying that; of course there will remain some natural
>residue which is not objectified labor. Marx never said otherwise. In fact
>in both Capital 1 and the the Critique of the Gotha Programme he
>emphasized that wealth is the product of both labor and nature...as you
>surely know  But the value of commodities can indeed be resolved into
>their value or objectified labor alone. So even if we cannot isolate a
>moment at which pure labor operated without means of production, what are
>we saying other than than labor always operates with objectified labor?
>There is only one element in the causal process of value--objectified
>abstract labor.
>
>Don't understand the objection.
>Yours, Rakesh

Home Page: http://www.debunking-economics.com