[OPE-L:5707] why are we on this list?

From: Gerald_A_Levy (Gerald_A_Levy@email.msn.com)
Date: Thu May 31 2001 - 19:26:11 EDT

Rakesh wrote in [5703]:

> I appreciate your presence here Steve, but if
> you would prefer to  engage other hetero
> economists, why are you on this list?

Steve is on this list for the same reason others
are: to exchange ideas, learn from each other,
sharpen our own perspectives,  and challenge
our own preconceptions. We benefit enormously
from the presence of members like Steve K and
Gil and Gary and Ajit for they force us to
explain what we might otherwise have taken
for granted. Coming from different intellectual
traditions, they also bring to the discussion a
knowledge of a literature that we might not be
as well versed in.  We are lucky to have them
as members.  I only hope that they feel that
they have gained as much by their presence as
others have benefited by it. One of the hallmarks
of OPE-L has been its diversity of theoretical
perspectives. Another hallmark has been the
extent to which members from very diverse
intellectual and theoretical traditions have been
able to seriously engage each other in scholarly
and comradely discussions.  Long may it
continue!

In  solidarity, Jerry