[OPE-L:5710] Re: why are we on this list?

From: Rakesh Narpat Bhandari (rakeshb@Stanford.EDU)
Date: Thu May 31 2001 - 20:13:50 EDT

>Rakesh wrote in [5703]:
>
>>  I appreciate your presence here Steve, but if
>>  you would prefer to  engage other hetero
>>  economists, why are you on this list?
>
>Steve is on this list for the same reason others
>are: to exchange ideas, learn from each other,
>sharpen our own perspectives,  and challenge
>our own preconceptions.

Jerry, that intent does not come across if your opponent is
characterized in the ridiculed form of the black knight.

>  We benefit enormously
>from the presence of members like Steve K and
>Gil and Gary and Ajit for they force us to
>explain what we might otherwise have taken
>for granted.

I disagee that much of benefit was derived from five years of
discussion of the the putative logical problems in chapter five and
the alleged mistake of not thinking out the implications of the
value-use value dialectic. Gary did not respond to your or my
questions about the methodology of comparative statics. I can't get
anything out of Ajit's post because he now refuses to answer my

>  Coming from different intellectual
>traditions, they also bring to the discussion a
>knowledge of a literature that we might not be
>as well versed in.  We are lucky to have them
>as members.

I think they have effectively derailed what was supposed to be the
point of this list--to extend Marx's unfinished project into a theory
of the world market, the state, central bank policy, etc. As Steve
said, the point of his interventions has been to handicap the Marxian
theoretical project.

Rakesh