[OPE-L:7227] RE: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: fundamentalism

From: Nicola Taylor (n.taylor@student.murdoch.edu.au)
Date: Mon May 20 2002 - 04:25:45 EDT

Hi Riccardo,
Thank you for the following comment on the nature of 'flames', which I
interpreted in the exactly the same manner as you did:

> (ii) may be it is a problem of language and culture, but translated
>in Italian, a parenthetical like "even Nicky who seems to be Jerry's
>good friend etc.", implying that an argument by Nicky in favour of
>Jerry should be due to the fact that she must be "a good friend" of
>him, would be judged as a flame.

Since my name keeps coming up (why?), I'd like to use this opportunity
to clarify 4 things further:

1) My support for Jerry was limited to the specific instance where he
commented on the hermeneutic character of Kliman's work.  What I
supported (in 2 sentences) was Jerry's right to state an opinion.
Moreover, I deliberately bracketed my support for Jerry's right to have
an opinion with a clear refusal to make any comment on whether that
opinion is 'right' or 'wrong'.

2) I have nowhere, at any time on this list, supported Jerry's decision
to make Alan's private email available to others.  In the one comment
that I did make online (at the time of the incident) I said the exact
opposite.  I have never requested Alan's email.  I have never seen it.
I do not want to see it.  I do not wish to comment on it.  I do not want
it imposed on me.  I am dismayed by the whole business.  End of story.

3) I have no problem whatsoever with Rakesh expressing his own
(legitimate) concerns on the above.  I do have a problem with the manner
in which he expresses them (personalised references to Jerry's ethics
and heart problem etc).  Imo, this is not a 'legitimate' way to express
a legitimate concern and tends, moreover, to alienate people (note Mike
W's departing comment).

4) I also have a problem with the way in which Rakesh attributes to me
and others - see the example below - opinions and/or positions that I do
not hold, and have never held or expressed.  I have no intention of
*ever* responding to *any* challenge framed in this arbitrary fashion,
for the same reason as in 3).

Comradely
Nicky

--