[OPE-L:7505] Re: textbook for "History of Economic Thought" course?

From: Rakesh Bhandari (rakeshb@stanford.edu)
Date: Sat Aug 10 2002 - 12:35:09 EDT

For a non economist like me, these texts  have proven helpful, though
a few may not be in print:

Ingrid Rima Development of Economic Analysis (the text used by
Michael Reich at UC Berkeley--the excellent chapters on Ricardo, Marx
and Keynes were helpful to me),

OPE-L member Ernesto Screpanti and Zamafni An Outline of the History
of Economic Thought (due to its complexity, technical proficiency and
utter comprehensiveness perhaps best as a teacher's resource or
graduate student text),

A K Dasgupta Epochs of Economic Theory (succinct, valuable formulations),

Maurice Dobb Theories of Value and Distribution since Adam Smith
(very helpful summary of Ricardo's critique of adding up theories of
value).

Phyllis Deane Evolution of Economic Ideas; The State and the Economic
System (both very valuable and engagingly written),

I.I. Rubin's A History of Economic Thought (still the best
introduction in the living historical context of socio economic
change, but breaks off before marginalism),

Eduard Heiman, History of Economic Doctrines (a profound analysis of
economic thought in terms of underlying metaphors while still
technically proficient, a great book well ahead of its time)

Guy Routh The Origins of Economic Ideas (delightfully written
especially the critique of marginalism; students would really enjoy
this book as Routh puts ideas in the context of the bubbling social
cauldron from which they emerged),

A Anikin A Science In Its Youth: Pre-Marxian Political Economy (very
student friendly; shouldn't be underestimated due its deliberately
amateurish style)

Mark Skousen The Making of Modern Economics (deliciously Austrian; he
has great fun poking at Keynes--go for the rightwinger and teach
against it! Skousen can flat out write a popular exposition).

rb