[OPE-L:7818] Re: 'Hic Rhodus, hic salta!'

From: OPE-L Administrator (ope-admin@ricardo.ecn.wfu.edu)
Date: Mon Oct 14 2002 - 10:17:48 EDT

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Christopher Arthur <cjarthur@waitrose.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2002 20:41:24 +0100
Subject: Re: [OPE-L:7813] Re:  'Hic Rhodus, hic salta!'

Hi Fred
1) You say Marx determined total SV in V1. You have no evidence for
this: as I pointed out many times Marx does not say in V1 that this is
what he was doing and no statement in V1 even comes close.
But that is an old story.
2) I want to draw your attention to the fact that your presentation of
your theory has drifted. In recent mails you say the above. But earlier
you said something different. You said Marx does not need to determine
total SV at all because it is an empirical given, a premise not a
result. On this version of  your theory you start from social dM as a
problem and then you have various stages of its *explanation*. First you
try to explain it using the categories of V1 but with a macro twist
(which Marx's V1 does not have, but I have no objection); but this is
only provisonal because this categorial mesh is too crude; so the second
stage of the explanation you draw from V3; I assume you would then need
a third stage of explanation to cope with the realisation issues raised
by Jerry.
Cheers
Chris

17 Bristol Road, Brighton, BN2 1AP, England