[OPE-L:7820] Re: Re: 'Hic Rhodus, hic salta!'

From: Fred B. Moseley (fmoseley@mtholyoke.edu)
Date: Mon Oct 14 2002 - 21:54:50 EDT

> From: Christopher Arthur <cjarthur@waitrose.com>
>
> Hi Fred
> 1) You say Marx determined total SV in V1. You have no evidence for
> this: as I pointed out many times Marx does not say in V1 that this is
> what he was doing and no statement in V1 even comes close.
> But that is an old story.

Chris, I think there is lots of textual evidence to support my
interpretation, including especially that Volume 1 is about the total
class relation between the capitalist class as a whole and the working
class as a whole (which I thought from your last post - 7793 - that you
agreed with).  The most important aspect of this total class relation is
the production of surplus-value by workers for capitalists.  Therefore, it
seems to me that Volume 1 is about the total surplus-value produced by the
working class as a whole for the capitalist class as a whole.

Chris, what is wrong with this argument?

How can Volume 1 be about the total class relation between capitalists and
workers and not be about the total surplus-value produced by the working
class as a whole?

> 2) I want to draw your attention to the fact that your presentation of
> your theory has drifted. In recent mails you say the above. But earlier
> you said something different. You said Marx does not need to determine
> total SV at all because it is an empirical given, a premise not a
> result. On this version of  your theory you start from social dM as a
> problem and then you have various stages of its *explanation*. First you
> try to explain it using the categories of V1 but with a macro twist
> (which Marx's V1 does not have, but I have no objection); but this is
> only provisonal because this categorial mesh is too crude; so the second
> stage of the explanation you draw from V3; I assume you would then need
> a third stage of explanation to cope with the realisation issues raised
> by Jerry.

Chris, I never said that "Marx does not need to determine total SV because
it is an empirical given, a premise not a result."

What I have said is that the total surplus-value is determined in Volume
1, under the assumption that there is no realization problem.  This total
surplus-value determined in Volume 1 is the actual total surplus-value in
periods in which there is in fact no realization problem.

The distribution of this total surplus-value is then determined in Volume
3, again under the assumption that there is no realization problem.  The
crucial point is that the total amount of surplus-value does not change in
Volume 3 as a result of the distribution of surplus-value (i.e. total
profit = total surplus-value).  There is no further determination of the
magnitude of the total surplus-value in Volume 3.  That has been my main
point all along.

Comradely,
Fred