[OPE-L:8019] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Robert Brenner

From: Rakesh Bhandari (rakeshb@stanford.edu)
Date: Mon Nov 18 2002 - 12:01:52 EST

re 8013

>Perhaps Rakesh you could explain how anti imperialism excludes
>'worker internationalism' ?
>
>Thanks
>
>Paul Bullock

Paul,
It need not. I was trying to get at another point: capital as global
social relation is more than a mere aggregate of national economies
which impinge on each other. Anti imperialist discourse seems to take
as the fundamental unit of analysis the national economy; one
national economy dominates another through for example the export of
capital. As biological reductionists such as John Maynard Smith tend
to view the organism as the nothing more than a site for intragenomic
conflict, I am saying that Marxists often seem to undertand the world
capitalist market as nothing but the site for  conflict among
capitalist nations. But the organism of capital as a global social
relation has ontological and conceptual priority over the apparently
self subsistent national economies out of which it is composed. In
short, I am making a rather weak suggestion for a kind of holism in
the analysis of the capitalist system. Cyrus Bina and John Holloway
have also argued for a kind of holism though on different grounds.

yours, rb