[OPE-L:8021] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Robert Brenner

From: Paul Bullock (paulbullock@ebms-ltd.co.uk)
Date: Mon Nov 18 2002 - 17:11:37 EST

Re: [OPE-L:8013] Re: Re: Re: Re: Robert BrennerRakesh,

I have always been a 'holist' in that sense and I have no doubt that Spinoza was a great influence on Marx there.  But the social relation requires enforcement, and the extension of that enforcement has taken the form of replications of the 'nation state model' ( even where there were many 'nations' incorporated in a State)  by the bourgeoisie as it has advanced and conquered  previous social systems. One cannot ignore the reality of the state, or the conflict of the most powerful capitalists shielding behind the most expensive and powerful state machinery.  Neverthless 'the relation itself ' is the 'prius' when understanding the general issues.

paul.